On the last day in November, we went to “Tofuku-ji” Temple to see the red and yellow leaves.
“Tofuku-ji” is a Zen temple, the head temple of the Tofuku-ji School of the Rinzai Sect (Zen Buddhism), built in 1236, the Kamakura Period. The temple is built on one mountain and 25 sub-temples are also built therein.
We got off at “Tofuku-ji Station,” the first station from Kyoto Station on the JR line. We walked on a road lined with many temples on both sides. There were many people in the autumn color season, but usually this area would be quiet.
We reached the “Tofuku-ji,” taking about 10 minutes from the station on foot.
First, we went to a garden of the temple.
That building is “Tsutenkyo (Tsutenkyo bridge),” which is a very famous bridge in Japan.
There is a pretty octagon-shaped hall (Hakkakuendo), named “Aizendo,” in a corner of the garden.
“Tsutenkyo” came in sight.
This hall is named “Kaizando.”
This is “Fumonin.”
The Japanese garden between “Fumonin” and “Kaizando.”
These views are from “Tsutenkyo.”
We finished walking across “Tsutenkyo” and then went to “Hojo.” “Hojo” was originally a residence for Buddhist priests, but was used for receiving specified guests later in “Tofuku-ji”.
The “Hojo” has 4 Japanese gardens, named “Hojo-no-Niwa (Hojo garden),” expressing that Shaka achieved enlightenment. The “Hojo” is surrounded by the 4 gardens.
This is the southern garden.
A karamon (Chinese-style gate) in the southern garden, named “Choyo-mon.”
The northern garden.
The western garden. Plants are dwarf azaleas.
“Tsutenkyo” seen from “Hojo.”
This is “Sammon.” This gate was rebuilt in 1425 by Ashikaga Yoshimochi, and is the oldest gate among existing gates of Zen temples in Japan.